I know what you’re thinking. Tofu? In a cake?
Yes!! No bake. No eggs. No dairy. Need I say more?
Since I went vegan, some of the hardest things for me to give up were desserts that were dairy-based: most cakes, ice cream, pastries, you name it. Luckily, there are several alternatives that can be used in vegan baking to replicate these sweet treats, one of them being silken tofu!
Silken tofu is soft and smooth, similar to jello or flan. Using this allows us to achieve a light and airy consistency that’s similar to mousse. I love this recipe because it’s rich and decadent yet simple to make- it doesn’t even require an oven! Try this dessert if you want to satisfy your sweet tooth and get your protein in all at once!
About 30 Oreos (or any other chocolate vegan cookie!)
3 tbs vegan butter (I like the brand Earth Balance)
1 pack of silken tofu, drained (about 450g)
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups dark chocolate, melted
- Toppings (optional)
fresh fruit (raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries would taste great!)
vegan whipped cream
- In a food processor or blender, crush the cookies and add the melted vegan butter. Pulse until the two are completely combined, and the cookie crumbles resemble wet sand.
- Press the cookie crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9in baking tin. This is the crust! (Tip: If you wish to remove the cake and later transfer it onto a serving platter, first line the baking tin with parchment paper! This will make removing the cake a lot easier.)
- Place the crust in the fridge to chill while you make the filling.
- To a clean food processor, add the tofu, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and blend.
- Melt the dark chocolate (I use a double-boiler method, placing the chocolate in a glass bowl and suspending that bowl in a pot of boiling water; stirring the chocolate until melted.) You could also use a microwave, but make sure melt it in 30-second intervals to ensure that the chocolate is smooth and not burnt.
- After letting the melted chocolate cool, add it to the blended tofu mixture. Blend once more until everything is well-incorporated and the texture is smooth.
- Pour the filling onto the chilled crust and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Let the cake chill in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Serve with the toppings of your choice (try berries, powdered sugar, or vegan whipped cream) and enjoy!! 🙂